Re: UML and Fonts when changing monitor resolution

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Cameron S. Watters wrote:

There is additionally a "zoom" setting at the bottom of the page. While I
find the zoom setting useful changing my perspective on the diagram
(especially nice for multipage diagrams), changing my zoom level doesn't
really solve the problem outright. If I zoom it way out, or way in,
sometimes the on-screen representation looks pretty much right, however,
printing is still an issue. Even if I play with the zoom so that it looks
right on the screen, it still doesn't size the class diagrams correctly
for printing. While I'm ultimately more concerned about onscreen at the
moment, zooming out to 25% or in to 200% makes working with the document
pretty cumbersome.

You're touching on a rather nasty problem:  When printing, we don't
actually use the lengths of the postscript font strings, but the length in
the diagram, using X fonts.  I've seen rather nasty examples where the two
were different.

And finally, if someone could just point me to a way to make _only_ the
UML object library (libuml_objects.so) without having to make the rest of
dia, I'd leave everyone alone and hack a mod to it so that it estimates
the width a little better (should be a pretty straightforward hack).

$ cd objects/UML
$ make

-Lars