Re: Unit selection input

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Robert Young wrote:

From: Lars Clausen [mailto:lrclause cs uiuc edu] wrote

Here's a design choice I'd like some input on:  Should Unit
selection be a
per-diagram option or a global option?  Any opinions for or against?

I vote for the per diagram option with a default for new diagrams. Why?
Because the times when I want to use non metric units I don't want it
changing the default for new diagrams and I'll only want to change the
units on the current diagram. Please have the option for millimetres (mm)
as I have an aversion to centimetres :-)

Yeah, I am coming to the same conclusion myself.
Current units are: Feet, meter, decimeter, millimeter, point, centimeter,
inch.  Does anyone feel a strong need for things like yards, miles,
kilometers, pica, etc?

I'm looking forward to units!

BTW, I wrote an implementation for the PREF_CHOICE type in
app/preferences.c for setting the default paper size a while back but
never finished the paper size implementation. If you're interested in the
PREF_CHOICE code, let me know and I'll knock up a diff for you. Hmmm, I
might even get the paper size stuff done...

I'm basing this work off the PREF_CHOICE code in CVS, and that part seems
to work now.  Now I "just" need to get the DiaUnitSpinners to know about
the units.  I'm also slightly thinking about how to do the paper size
thing, but that requires some interaction inside prefs that isn't really
supported right now.

-Lars