Re: Wishlist

On 22 Jan 2002, Gérard Milmeister wrote:

Hi,

First, thanks for the great software!

Thank you!

I have a few issues:
1. Zigzaglines (for example the UML inheritance lines) only work
in one direction, that is arrows point only upwards or downwards.
However I would like to be able to connect sideways to class objects.

This is a known problem, but with no simple solution.  There is a
work-around in the FAQ (http://www.lysator.liu.se/~alla/dia/faq.html).

2. There are not enough anchor points on class objects. It is sometimes
clearer if one could connect to different points on the bottom of class
objects.

This is also answered in the FAQ.

3. Properties in class objects are always in Courier font. Frankly I
detest Courier, and I would like to set fonts globally.

That's a problem in the implementation of the Class object.  It's one of
the most complicated objects in Dia, and therefore hasn't been updated as
much as the other objects.

4. The alignment operations seem to be broken. When I select several
objects stacked one above the other and do Align Vertical Equal
Distance, this is done, but the order of the objects change.

I know this problem, and it has irked me in the past.  Basically, the
ordering becomes the reverse of the order of selection.  Rather silly,
really.  I shall take a look at this.

Also when I do Align Center on two objects, this also works, but BOTH
objects change position. I would rather like that e.g. the first object
is fixed, and the second object changes position relative to the first
one.

Selecting the right place to align them around isn't an obvious decision.
You may want them centered around their common center (as it is now),
around their topmost/leftmost member (for align horizontal/vertical) as you
suggest, or even around the first object selected.  All three make sense.

5. How do I export a diagram e.g. to ps such that I know that fonts will
be e.g. 12pt.

There isn't really any way to do that now.  We are severely missing a
better measurement unit selection scheme.

You've pointed out a number of known problems in Dia, that we'd love to
fix.  If you can help, that would be heartily welcome.

-Lars