Re: Dia windows installer, upgrade?

On Sun, 22 Dec 2002, Steffen Macke wrote:

This is basically just to Steffen but i think NSIS 2 is good enough
despite officially only being beta.
How about upgrading?

I guess you're talking about the new NSIS GUI.

aah, another release i had not noticed.  the last one i looked at was a
binary available only from the winamp forums.
http://www.nullsoft.com/free/nsis/#download

yes i am definately talking about NSIS2 the one with the new GUI (although
there is apparenlty an unofficial 1.99 release).

I had not noticed that the NSIS development is now on Sourceforge
http://nsis.sourceforge.net/

Looks like a complete rewrite of the installer is necessary for this, my
first attempt to

I was under the impresion that most installer scripts do not need
rewritten to handle the upgrade.  Anything in particular that makes this
script not upgrade cleanly?

I really dont like that the Dia is wrapped in a Dos Script but have been
unable to figure out what and where in the registry you could set the
necessary %HOME% or equivalent.  I still think that if they dont have a
home dir you should fall back to %windir%, if it is good enough for Sun
Microsystems (various java programs dump .settings/ in windir), Abiword,
theKompany.com (some of their programs with windows ports, i tried most of
them).  I cant remember what the gimp does, i should check ...
And i should submit a patch.

upgrade the existing file failed. At least the created installer is not
crashing any more.
I would like to wait a little bit more before upgrading.

Fair enough.  I do think it would be worthwhile to have a point release if
and when you do decide to upgrade the installer.

Steffen

Later
Alan