Re: Dia extensions

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Daniel Pérez Alcázar wrote:
First of all, thak you for all of your comments.

As I can see, vey nice people here in dia-list (funny people at least)
:-)

Your advice has been very useful and now I know where I must begin.

About this last comment, I have something to say. The solution that
Jason explains is not what I like. What I liked was something
graphical.... something nice. There's not very much schedulling in
what I liked. I want to generate diagrams of subjects which the user
would give to the program (or dia or anything), and it simply would
draw to the user the connections and other subjects which are
requisite of the subjects which the user entered. The job is not very
difficult. It's more important to have a nice diagram of the
subjects.

You need to remember that Dia doesn't have any diagram layout builtin.  You
cannot simply say "Class A requires Class B" and expect Dia to place the
objects in reasonable positions.

If it's really all about the pretty diagram, I would actually suggest using
Dot (from the Graphviz package).  It could work like this:

The student enters a list of classes on a web page.
Dot renders a diagram of those classes and their prerequisites.
The resulting webpage displays the diagram together with ways to add and
  remove classes.

Diagram layout is no simple problem, and not a problem that Dia attempts to
solve.

Even  no DB backend is needed.

For this, I have but one question:  How many classes will this system handle?

-Lars