Re: XML Schema

James Henstridge wrote:

On Sat, 23 Jun 2001, John Palmieri wrote:

Sorry for double posting but my computer's clock was messed up.

I'm getting a little bit of a feel for XML Schema's.  The documentation
islittered with new terminology that takes a bit getting use to.  The
examples look straight forward.  I think they are a better way to
represent the shapes instead of DTD's.  I will work on moving the
widget.dtd to UrShape.schema once the C++ stuff James is doing hits the

Which C++ stuff is this?  I don't really see the benefit of changing any
of the existing infrastructure over to C++ -- it sounds like a lot of work
for not much gain (people have to learn the new infrastructure, a lot more
work to write language bindings, etc).

No C++.  James Lowden wrote in one of his e-mails - "I'll next define such an
object notionally in C++ for us"  I'm assuming he just needs to define it in
his own terms so that he can better understand the problem.  I would have
preferred UML but whatever gets his brain moving is good with me.  The end
result will be coded in C within the same format as Dia.

streets.  About the validator - I'm going to fiddle around with this
(note the fiddle part).  Schema's is a whole other project and the specs
are just way too complicated for us to be worrying about that.  If
anything, I might be able to squeeze something out that is tailored to
our purposes (implements only the types and tags that we use).  I
suspect that libxml will include support for this in the future since it
is very useful.  One thing that gets me is the regular expressions.
What notation of RE are they using? Perl uses different notation from
python and lex.  Are their libs for this already? Well I don't think
that we are going to have to use restrictions or unions or any of the
more complex parts of the spec so I think we can just ignore them.  Well
I'll create the schema file and see if I want to tackle validating it
also.  If we get past that we can have it automagicly create a tree to
conform to our mini-DOM interface.  Comments?

Remember that a dtd or schema is only a very small part of these sort of
changes.  It is just a definition of a file format.  Coding up a new
feature is the hard part (and you will probably find that the file format
needs changing as things are implemented).  Don't spend too much time just
planning things.

The whole Schema thing is just a side project for me.  Something I can work on
separate from the other guys since I can't work with CVS at the moment.  In
the long run a Relax-NG (the schema dialect I am using) could make development
faster since a compiler could output code whenever a change is made the file
format.  Again, I said fiddle around with it.  Once I get code from the other
guys and I set up the network in my parents house I will be able to code on
the more important stuff.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au