Re: My proposal (Was: Shapes layout proposal)

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Andre Kloss wrote:

On 14 Jun 2001, Lars Clausen wrote:

The reason for GUIs to have the equal-spacing setup is that the actual
widget layout may be determined by somebody else.  I don't think we
really need that here.  Just using relative resizing is probably more
useful and easier.
Agreed. Do you know where this might be incorporated in the code? Or
even better, are you already implementing this stuff? ;)

Oh, no:) I'm still looking at the freetype stuff, somewhat stalled by the
fact the freetype doesn't try to find fonts, just accepts font files.
This means that we can 1) have our own font list (bad, bad idea), 2) use
the GtkFontSelector (a pretty darn big widget), 3) grab the font-finding
code from GtkFontSelector, or 4) use standard X font code.  I'm thinking
3) sounds easiest, but it might be tied in with the GdkFonts.

Well, trouble.  GtkFontSel indeed has code to parse the font names, but
that doesn't give me the font file name, which is what FreeType requires.
I'm taking this to the FreeType mailing list.

The Xft library included in XFree86 4 is probably the one to use for font
rendering in the future (provided it is available).  It does client side
font loading using FreeType, and renders them antialiased using the
XRender extension.

Pango (the text layout library for gtk 2.0) can optionally render text
using Xft.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au