Re: Dia 0.88.1: Problems with exporting to xfig

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, James Henstridge wrote:

On 12 Jun 2001, Lars Clausen wrote:

Sounds like a good implementation plan.  Only the FEATURE and SHAPE
groups don't really solve the problem, as all you can really do at this
level is group.

Somebody (I forget who) suggested having some more complex shapes
(arrows, rounded rectangles etc) have their own rendering function, but
have a default that uses the more primitive functions.  Of course, we
only want a limited amount of these, or the renderer structure becomes
rather large, but at least having them for the basic shapes would be
good.

This sort of thing should be very easy to do when we switch over to gtk
2.0.  In the dia-newcanvas module, all rendering has been moved to an
interface.  It would be very easy to add a "rounded rectangle drawing"
interface, which could be implemented by a renderer.  Then a "render
rounded rectangle" function could check to see if the interface is
implemented by the current renderer and if it isn't, break the rounded
rectangle down into simpler primitives.

Ok, then let's hold that off for Gtk 2.0 and do a minimal grouping
implementation for now (to have groups and objects at least be groups in
exported formats).

One other option for the current dia would be to render rounded
rectangles with a bezier instead, although this may slow things down for
the onscreen case.

No, that's not an option.  That's just silly:)

-Lars

--
Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause) | Hårdgrim of Numenor
"I do not agree with a word that you say, but I    | Retainer of Sir Kegg