RE: Better with units

Lars Clausen wrote:

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Robert Young wrote:

Dolores Alia de Saravia wrote:

 Dia deals with three different  length magnitudes:
---  one for paper, or printed diagram;  unit: cm
---  one for canvas, or working diagram; unit without a
name, it could
be "virtual cm", or simply  "canvas_unit".
---  one for the window trough which we see part of the
canvas; unit:
pixel.

 I  beleive it would be better (less confusing) to make
the user aware
of the units.

I agree with making the user aware of the units (it would
mean that dia
could be used for rudimentary CAD!).

I think, however, that it would be useful to be able to set
the default
units in the Preferences dialog (ft, cm, mm, m, pt, inch,
nmi, lyr etc)
and then all the dialogs display values in terms of this e.g. line
thickness, grid spacing. Lars originally suggested
something like this
(Re: StdProp overhaul, take 2 on 14/8/01). The only pixel
unit would be
the new window width and height (though I have other ideas
about this -
new window defaults to A4 with 10% 'bleed' area with all of this
selectable).

The "virtual cm", or simply  "canvas_unit" concerns me
because it is not
obvious to a user what it is. Even the word pixels may
confuse the user.

Unless we make the window dimensions match the screen
dimensions (currently
"100% zoom" does not mean that one cm in the diagram shows up
as one cm on
the screen.  In fact, with the 'Fit to' page setup, we would
need to zoom
in and out all the time.), the user should be able to specify
the window
dimensions.

Yes. I see the problem here - probably two separate issues:
1. Initial window size, specified in pixels.
2. Initial extents, e.g. 2x2 A4 + 10% bleed or user definable (allow dia to
decide when to increase this number of pages?) Why? Because I am currently
frustrated by the diagram always being exactly the diagram extents. Maybe I
should fix this...

In my mind both should be definable in the Properties dialog.

I'm not certain that 1cm on screen = 1cm in diagram is that much of a
problem - it depends on display device (e.g 17" monitor, 12" LCD display
both using 800x600 have completely different dimensions for a pixel). The
only importance is 1cm in diagram must be 1cm on page when printed
scale=100% in postscript. What do other users think??

To ease the implementation, the dia_unit_spinner could be used (see
app/diaunitspinner.[ch]). Currently (AFAIK) the only place
it is used is
the paper size dialog - try typing 2ft for the page width
and it cleverly
converts it to cm! - cool, James)

Letting the input boxes convert from various units is cool,
but we need to
let the unit converted _to_ be changed.

Agreed. Let the user select a default unit (I quite like drawing in units of
light years :-)

 We'd also need to add a number of
frequently used unit designations, like "ft" and "feet".

Agreed. It's good that US inches are the same as real proper English inches
(unlike gallons and other interesting units).

Also, the font
size input boxes should probably use a separate unit -- many
people like to
have 'points' for font units.

Agreed. Select a default unit for fonts and a default unit for everything
else.

The extension of this concept can be seen in a publishing prorgam Ovation
Pro (http://www.davidpilling.co.uk) which allows a user to enter maths (e.g.
10pt+10%) into a field and it will calculate what the user wanted. I think
this is a version 5.0 milestone though :-)

Just my thoughts...
Rob.