Re: a couple of blog posts about free software activity in Ghana

On Thu, 2011-01-27 at 08:47 +0100, Ben Konrath wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I just wanted pass along a couple of blog posts by Isaac Sanni-Thomas,
> a Ghanian software developer who I met last year at the Idlelo
> conference.
>
> This post is about the Fedora Action Day that Isaac is organizing in Ghana:
>
> http://d3vnulls.blogspot.com/2010/12/fad-2011-in-ghana.html
>
> I'm currently in the process of working with the board to see if the
> foundation can sponsor someone to give some GNOME training at this
> event. I'll post an update when I know more.
>
> This post describes a few gaps in the F/OSS software stack that would
> be useful in the region:
>
> http://d3vnulls.blogspot.com/2010/12/open-source-projects-for-2011.html
>
> Anybody interested in the projects that Isaac describes should contact
> him to see where things stand.

Regarding to OpenCafe (in the last post), I think it is quite related
with what NCCExtremadura has been done.  Probably the same in Andalusia.
http://www.nccextremadura.org/ (sorry, this is Spanish).  FWIW,
telecentros was/is part of a bigger effort.  They have built their own
tools to manage this. It might worth to take in contact with our GNOME
fellows from Spain.

Fernando Herrera was last year, too.  And he is aware of the initiatives
that I mentioned.

OTOH, I tend to sympathize with the idea of helping to build their own
"software industry" by coding in FLOSS projects.  However, there is a
strong correlation in involvement in FLOSS projects with the size of the
software industry in each country[1].  So, that is something that be
should be taken in mind.

[1] http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.infoecopol.2008.07.001 (I could not find
a PDF available to download for everybody, so I hope you have access).

Regards,

--
Germán Póo-Caamaño
http://www.gnome.org/~gpoo/