Education and GNOME

Hi all !

I think that educational initiatives are responsible of big deployments
of GNU/Linux + GNOME, like the 400,000 PCs with Guadalinex in Andalusia
(Spain), and they are very important for the future of GNOME.

However, the number of GNOME apps with educational purposes is very
limited and GNOME-based distros and the number of KDE/Qt apps for
Education much higher [1]. I think it would be great to promote/support
educational with educational purposes under the GNOME umbrella (I'm not
talking about replacing KDE apps one-by-one for an alternative GNOME
app, just about new educational apps)

Sugar is an amazing project in the educational area. Sugar is more
oriented for children and GNOME is better for older children and
grownups, and dual systems has been delivered in Paraguay [2]. I think
it could a good idea to introduce some Sugar technologies/ideas into
GNOME for improving the learning experience with GNOME.

Just thinking,

    -- Juanjo Marin

[1] http://www.flickr.com/photos/jjmarin/sets/72157623926929558/
[2] http://www.gnome.org/press/releases/2010-06-olpc-xo-1.5.html