[gnome-desktop-testing] GNOME Accessibility testing discussion notes, from the GNOME Accessibility Hackfest, 23 March 2010

Greetings,

A bunch of GNOME accessibility & GNOME testing folks held a ~2 hour discussion about GNOME accessibility testing.  This was part of the GNOME Accessibility Hackfest at CSUN (http://live.gnome.org/Accessibility/Hackfest2010).  It was a very good discussion, and us accessibility folk wanted to share out thoughts and plans with the GNOME desktop testing team.

I've updated that wiki page with notes I took from that meeting.  You can also find them at: http://live.gnome.org/Accessibility/Hackfest2010?action="">

In summary, we agreed on the following:
  • Our first priority is developing a body of tests; later we should work on automation

  • We want to see accessibility tests living with the modules they are testing (e.g. in a test subdirectory)

  • LDTP / Mago is the technology we want to use for GUI-based tests

  • There should be a core, common, generic set of accessibility tests – that use AT-SPI (and not LDTP), and can be applied to all modules. This core set should have it's own module name, and can then be imported (perhaps via auto tools) into each GUI-based module. These will be things like:

    • A test to see if all keyboard focusable items do get focus

    • Testing whether all text-entry fields have a label associated with them

    • Testing whether there are any unlabeled images

    • [Accerciser may be a model to build off of / steal from for these tests, particularly the validation tool]

  • We hope to see a growing body of module-specific tests – likely via LDTP but perhaps also directly via AT-SPI

  • We want to start with some apps/modules that we know need testing – e.g. gnome-panel, gdm, metacity, GNOME Shell

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Principal
Oracle