Re: GNOME Accounts - Introducing Automation

As a follow-up we had on Discourse there's a few more key takes I wanted to mention:

1. The git_access action mainly verifies you’re actively contributing to a GNOME module and the module maintainer is willing to grant you access to the LDAP group responsible for providing read-write capabilities within the entire set of GNOME’s GitLab namespace hosted repositories. DOAP files only control who maintains a module, for committers we mainly have one single LDAP group which in turn maps to a GitLab group where everyone is allowed to commit to any repository within GNOME’s GitLab namespace. This is the former "gnomecvs" group.

2. master_access has been renamed to maint_access, documentation has been updated. It effectively grants the ftpadmin role, the reason why we need a module param is that this role gives you access to master.gnome.org, as such we need an existing maintainer to vouch for your access to be created given these permission allow you to modify tarballs we globally serve. The idea with this self-service tool is that we also introduced additional auditing and accounting when it comes to GNOME accounts, each action is tracked within an individual GitLab issue and we can easily connect what was granted and when.

3. If you do not have a GNOME Account at all, please use the new_account action, it'll make sure your account is created and access to GNOME's GitLab namespace is also granted. If you do have a GNOME account already and you need commit access please use the git_access action. Same applies if you're an existing maintainer and you need access to publish releases via master.gnome.org, in that case you will use the maint_access action.

This will be the last update to this thread, for further updates please head to [1] or [2], thanks!

[1] https://discourse.gnome.org/t/gnome-accounts-introducing-automation/11146/3
[2] https://wiki.gnome.org/Infrastructure/NewAccounts