Re: Intent to retire people.gnome.org (31th of March)

Michael,

Adding redirects once the service is down is a viable option, you can push those images to static.g.o and we can add a redirect afterwards to make sure stuff won't break. Let me know whether that works for you, thanks!

On Wed, 9 Mar 2022 at 18:02 Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro gnome org> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 9 2022 at 05:44:04 PM +0100, Andrea Veri <av gnome org>
wrote:
> With that in mind and unless anyone within the community objects with
> a good rationale we'll be retiring the service by the 31th of March.

Sadly I have images for appstream metadata hosted here (seemed like a
good idea back in 2014, oops), meaning once it goes down, older
releases will no longer display images in GNOME Software if distros
rebuild their appstream metadata. Potentially affected apps:
five-or-more, four-in-a-row, gnome-calculator, gnome-chess,
gnome-klotski, gnome-mahjongg, gnome-mines, gnome-nibbles,
gnome-robots, gnome-sudoku, gnome-taquin, gnome-tetravex, hitori,
iagno, lightsoff, quadrapassel, swell-foop, tali. These images are very
stale, so hopefully some apps have refreshed their images since I
created them, but the rest will break. I'll go through them all soon
and migrate all images to GitLab to ensure that GNOME 42 releases will
be OK, but of course there is no way to fix older releases.

I also had a bunch of tarballs hosted here too, but it looks like
release team is no longer using them due to infrastructure
improvements, so that's no problem.

Michael

--
Cheers,
Andrea

Principal Systems Engineer at Red Hat,
GNOME Infrastructure Team Coordinator,
Former GNOME Foundation Board of Directors Secretary,

Homepage: https://people.gnome.org/~av