Re: Reminder: action required when updating dependencies or build options

Hi,

Yesterday, after I committed the typo to Calendar, I promised to use merge requests from now on when committing build fixes. Previously, I had promised to do this only for your projects, but yesterday I forgot, and not for the first time. I understand that's frustrating. From now on, I'll use MRs for all projects that use CI. I had already promised this in [1] in hopes of smoothing things over with you, but I see that didn't work. I had also attempted to apologize via IRC. You are right about the importance of MRs.

I actually did at first temporarily switch libgweather.bst to use a 3.36 release tarball when I didn't see any easy way to fix your vapi file [2]. This turned out to not be needed because, with some help from Rico, we found a simple and obviously-correct solution to the problem [3]. I followed that with [4] to keep your CI working; it would have been better had I pushed both at the same time to avoid the canceled pipeline, but I hope that's not a big deal. Next time, I will use a MR and wait for your CI before merging.

That said, keeping things building from git master is far preferable to pinning old tarball versions that we will forget to undo later, so I'd prefer to continue to reserve pinning to tarball versions as an absolute last resort, not as normal practice.

[1] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-calendar/-/merge_requests/156
[2] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-build-meta/-/commit/e3639a2e1238a1d769a7ba2e8b50164d9bbd6bcc [3] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/libgweather/-/commit/f1f0bdd9ab47ff8ddba17e2125802c928226da64 [4] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/libgweather/-/commit/fc714b10c4cd78cf94d1d9f01f4b72d78a568047