Re: Reminder: action required when updating dependencies or build options

On Tue, 2021-01-12 at 09:31 -0600, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
Hi developers,

Please remember that action is required when updating your
dependencies
or build options. You need to either make sure gnome-build-meta is OK
with your changes, or ask release team to investigate on your behalf.

We've had at least four separate breakages from four separate
projects
in the past few days. This is too much. Please be careful. Thanks!

Sorry to have caused one of those breakages. I think this is going to
keep happening, though, since remembering to ping an external party
when dependencies change is hard. It’s something that happens
infrequently, and is not part of people’s normal
code/compile/review/merge cycle, so it’s not surprising they forget.

Perhaps there’s scope for a CI bot which reminds developers to look at
updating gnome-build-meta whenever a meson.build is changed. That bot
could be set up for every project which is listed in gnome-build-meta.

Or, if it’s appropriate, the bot could file an issue against gnome-
build-meta and assign the developer who’s touching meson.build to that
issue. Or something.

Philip