Version numbers

Hi,

Several developers are interested in moving away from our confusing even/odd versioning scheme.

Emmanuele has proposed a new version scheme on Discourse:

https://discourse.gnome.org/t/straw-man-proposal-changing-the-gnome-versioning-scheme/1964/57

It seems possible that GNOME 3.38 might turn into GNOME 4, or GNOME 5 (if we want to skip 4 to avoid confusion with GTK 4), or GNOME 40 (turns out 3.36 was the 39th major release of GNOME).

If you have opinions or counterproposals, please respond on Discourse to keep the discussion in one place and help us test the new Discourse instance.

Thanks,

Michael