Re: A little experiment: GNOME on wayland-only?

On Sun, 1 Dec 2019 at 14:53, Javier Jardón <jjardon gnome org> wrote:

On Mon, 25 Nov 2019 at 03:18, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro gnome org> wrote:

On Sun, Nov 24, 2019 at 4:23 pm, Carlos Garnacho <carlosg gnome org>
wrote:
If you still want to preserve X11 support, these modules do need to
keep linking to X11 components:

So our regular build has to continue to depend on X11 indefinitely,
because we want to build flatpaks that work under X11. And distros
certainly do as well, because they need to support X applications
indefinitely. But I don't think our VM images necessarily need to
support X applications. I suppose Javier's experiment is to see if we
can get VM images working nicely without any X stuff at all. In this
scenario, preserving X11 support is not needed.

That was, indeed, my intention; a GNOME VM only with wayland (or as
little as X as possible)

Beyond that, AFAICT if other regular GNOME session services/apps
indirectly rely on X11 at build/runtime, it's an oversight.

<snip>

Thanks everyone for the help reviewing patches; still quite a lot of work to do!

Hi,

Some months have passed, and we have some progress on this.
Several patches have been merged and now several modules doesn't hard depend on
X11 anymore (like gedit or gnome-screenshot)

The current TODO list is as follows:
  - https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/file-roller/-/issues/78
  - https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gcr/issues/11
  - https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gdm/issues/306
  - https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-color-manager/-/issues/11
  - https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-settings-daemon/issues/131
  - https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-session/-/issues/56

See [1] for more up-to-date info and in case you want to help with the effort

Cheers,
Javier

[1] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-build-meta/issues/226