Re: GNOME Online Accounts 3.34 won't have documents support

On Wed, 2019-01-23 at 10:17 +0000, Emmanuele Bassi via desktop-devel-
list wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jan 2019 at 16:32, <mcatanzaro gnome org> wrote:

We have a rule though: the account types exposed in
gnome-online-accounts must be used by at least one core
application.
It's a good rule because it doesn't make sense to have settings in
control-center for apps that aren't installed by default. So unless
we
reverse course and add gnome-documents back to core, the documents
account configuration settings should move from control-center to
gnome-documents itself.

So you're asking that an application with known resource problems re-
implements functionality that was offloaded to a GNOME component in
the first place. This work, by the way, may or may not be dropped in
case we change our minds, and find a use case for Documents to be in
the core apps in the future.

At this point it would be much more honest to come forward and say:
"GNOME Documents is no more. If you want to work on it, fork it and
call it whatever".

The Pocket provider (used by FeedReader, and GNOME Videos) was also
disabled from Fedora, and is apparently targeted to be removed. And the
"Mail" category is also targeted to be removed in Fedora[1], already
setup mail accounts be damned.

I don't understand the need to remove those when they are still used
(albeit not as much as it could be), when they don't seem to cause
maintenance problems (compared to, say, Kerberos...).

[1]: https://pagure.io/fedora-workstation/issue/67