Re: GitLab postmortem

On Wed, 2019-01-02 at 15:15 +0100, Milan Crha via desktop-devel-list
wrote:
On Wed, 2018-12-19 at 14:37 +0000, Philip Withnall wrote:
3. I’d like to see continued movement towards disallowing direct
pushes to git, and requiring all commits to go through MRs (and
CI).

      Hi,
I hope this won't go through without a good research and reasoning.

I only care that the option is available for each maintainer to
disallow direct pushes; not that the policy is applied to all modules.

Any such requirement would be kind of showstopper for me personally.
It
would be just double work for me when coding (issue is not merge
request), causing awful commit history, resulting in unbelievably
harder effort required to produce NEWS file content (yes, I do use
commit messages to fill the NEWS files in a semi-automated way saving
my time, which I can spend on more productive things). To name a few
major obstacles at least.

I’ve just written this script for generating a NEWS entry from `git
log` plus information from GitLab, which you might find useful:

https://gitlab.gnome.org/pwithnall/gitlab-changelog

Philip