Re: Using BuildStream as a module maintainer

On Fri, 2018-02-16 at 17:15 -0500, Shaun McCance wrote:
And what about doing general development work? I can't really do much
inside BuildStream's shell. And even running yelp leaves it pretty
crippled, because it doesn't have access to /usr/share or D-Bus.

To run yelp with a useful set of help files I'd suggest including more
components when building and opening a shell. E.g., you could use the
core.bst stack.

$ bst build --track-all --track-save core.bst
$ bst shell core.bst bash

You could also define your own stack that only contains what you really
need for your test to speed things up.

D-Bus is still an open issue as it doesn't work across user namespaces
with different UID mappings. I have an experimental BuildStream branch
where D-Bus works in `bst shell` but we have to do some more thinking
before we can merge a proper solution. If you want to try it, you can
use the BuildStream branch juerg/gnome. yelp works for me with that.

Jürg