Re: Updating GNOME Goals?

Before committing to tons more search providers, I'd like to see a bug
and some development effort dedicated to make the providers we already
ship more efficient.

Right now each search provider needs to be activated via DBus — and in
some cases these search providers are just an application in a
window-less mode; then every single application needs to be queried
every 150 milliseconds for results, regardless of whether they make
sense or not.

If we keep adding more search providers without evaluating the
performance implications then we'll end up with users and, more
importantly, OSVs disabling most of them out of the box.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.