Re: Improving the way we build nightly apps

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 05:18:55PM -0600, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
So far, we have this gnome-nightly-apps repository which contains
copies of the flatpak manifests for a bunch of gnome apps. That is
redundant and suboptimal. Recently, flatpak has gained the ability to
find manifests in git repositories that you point it to, and we
should use this to move the json files to each applications git tree.
Quite possibly there is already a copy of it there anyway.

If you want to help out with making this happen, the details are
described here:

https://wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/GnomeGoals/FlatpakManifests

This is clearly superior to how we build the flatpaks now.

On the other hand, these manifests should hopefully be obsoleted soon
by BuildStream.

I don't know how soon it'll be. The Flatpak manifest goal is a small
goal (the files are even already written, it's just moving them and
doing small edits). If it's useful during 6 months or one year, that's
already worthwhile. It's easy to remove the Flatpak manifests once (and
if) BuildStream becomes the preferred way.

--
Sébastien