Github's pull requests and GNOME

Hello,

one of the most problematic points we've been discussing since the
GNOME Github mirror was introduced [1] (three years already!) has been
the presence of pull requests and the missing feature / functionality
to actually turn them off for specific repositories / organizations.
What many have correctly pointed out during these three years relates
to the fact pull requests and our current contributions workflow
collide in a way that has caused confusion between community members
with dozens of patches being left on Github unreviewed.

Finally the GNOME Infrastructure Team is going to introduce a daily
cronjob (first run is scheduled next week, enough time for collecting
excludes) that will close all the pull requests for each repository
hosted under the GNOME organization umbrella. The closure message will
look like this:

"""
Thank you for contributing to $project_name!

$project_name uses Bugzilla for code review.

If you have never contributed to GNOME before make sure you have read the
getting started documentation:
http://www.gnome.org/get-involved

Otherwise please visit
https://wiki.gnome.org/Newcomers/CodeContributionWorkflow
and follow the instructions there to upload your change to Bugzilla.
"""

If you don't want the script to actually run against any of your
maintained products, modules, components please drop me an e-mail and
I'll make sure proper excludes will be set.

Thanks,

[1] https://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-list/2013-August/msg00010.html

--
Cheers,

Andrea

Debian Developer,
Fedora / EPEL packager,
GNOME Infrastructure Team Coordinator,
GNOME Foundation Board of Directors Secretary,

Homepage: http://www.gnome.org/~av