Re: icon-masking in gnome

Icon masks are the ability to mask out the icon to fit a certain
shape. I assume it's done with an extra alpha channel, but I have no
idea.

The goal is to take arbitrary icons, and, when themed in an icon
theme, change their shape. There's several tools to do it on Android /
iOS.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/01/27/icon-masks/

The extra implementation complexity for this one wouldn't be worth it
in my opinion. We would have to patch GTK+ and Shell to do masking on
all app icon renders, which seems a bit much to me. We often don't
know when icons are used in an "app launcher" context, either, so it
would require application support too. All in all, it would be
extremely tricky to get right, and I'm not sure the effect would look
that good.

Our icons are high-resolution renders and probably wouldn't look good
with a flat cookie-cutter mask.