From: "Sriram Ramkrishna" <sri ramkrishna me>
To: "Lasse Schuirmann" <lasse schuirmann gmail com>
Cc: "Carlos Soriano Sanchez" <csoriano redhat com>, "desktop-devel-list" <desktop-devel-list gnome org>
Sent: Friday, 13 March, 2015 9:15:27 PM
Subject: Re: Canonical jhbuild documentation

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 1:09 PM, Lasse Schuirmann
<lasse schuirmann gmail com> wrote:
Hi everyone again,

Sorry for reborn this, but now that most of the changes for 3.16 are done, it's time to think again =)

I have been thinking on this for the past few days, and I think we agreed in a not that good solution.
So what we try to fix, is not actually a "Canonical jhbuild documentation". That is a problem that came
from another problem. So what we have to do is actually fix that original problem.
That original problem is, no documentation for "Getting started with contribution for Gnome".
Given that we didn't have that, we created multiple jhbuild tutorials because is the part that allows
multiple ways and is dependent of the person who writes the tutorial, nothing more.

- Why "Making a canonical jhbuild documentation" is not the fix for this?
Because we still need to explain git, patches, code styles etc. So we will need to have the wiki anyway.
And we don't link directly to all the documentation of git; instead we explain briefly the guidelines.
So you can see the paralelism with jhbuild.
OTHO, with xdg-app comming, making one part of the contribution of gnome inside jhbuild
oficial documentation won't help at all, and we will have to move it again to the wiki?

- What do I propose?
So, what we actually need is a "Canonical documentation for contributing gnome". In developers.gnome.org.
As I offered before for the Jhbuild one, I offer me volunteer (with whoever wants to join) for this one as
well.

Just jumping in without having read all those messages before -
wouldn't that be a possible Outreachy project? If you are investing
time anyway you could also mentor a student to get faster and better
documentation. They are lacking ideas anyway. See
https://wiki.gnome.org/Outreach/Outreachy/2015/MayAugust#Project_Ideas

It's not worth it unless you have a way to sustain it.  Yes, an intern
is good when you first start up but things change and you need someone
to keep it up to date.  That's where the difficulty lies.  See my

sri

Then we won't care about jhbuild or xdg-app, we will write there whatever is better and easier at that
time. Then having
multiple jhbuild tutorials in the wiki will stop to make sense at all for sure.

What do you think?
For me when this came to my mind I saw the light in the tunnel =)

Cheers,
Carlos Soriano