Re: How do you hack on GNOME? How can we do better?

On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 1:30 PM, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
On Mon, 2015-07-20 at 19:11 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
As we move to Wayland, some of the ways we used to work on the core
parts of GNOME (like gnome-shell --replace) no longer work. I think
this is a good time to look at how we hack on GNOME, how we can make
it more standard and obvious for newcomers, and how we can make it
easier.

We can classify hacking on "GNOME" (taken very widely) into the
following:

 1) Hacking on system components that require hardware access (kernel
drivers, NetworkManager)

I wouldn't classify hacking on NetworkManager as being the same as
hacking on kernel drivers. NetworkManager is relatively easy to
compile, but hard to install and test.

Hacking on bluetoothd by comparison is easy: stop the existing daemon,
start the new one directly from its build tree.

Making it easier to start/debug NetworkManager could be something the
NetworkManager folks could work on (even if it means yo-yo'ing in and
out of IRC :)

Hacking on kernel drivers is also pretty easy as long as they can
compile stand-alone, as modules.

Well that's true until you make a mistake (by accident; a typo etc.)
which means "you have to reboot" or even hard reset.