Re: How do you hack on GNOME? How can we do better?

I've hacked on things all the from 1-5. Everything has a different
development process, as usual, and I don't think there's any sense in
trying to unify them. Writing documentation and getting people started
quicker is always great, but everybody's going to have their own
little things.

As for shell hacking, it's got increasingly more difficult to hack on
things in a state like this, even under X11: launching a shell from a
terminal loses things like search providers or some applications.
There's issues with pkexec and other friends. Automounting USB keys
never works when using jhbuild run. It feels strangely unclean and
frustrating to work with. I just don't run a full shell as an X11
compositor through jhbuild anymore. I do what I need to, then reboot
to get back to a clean state.

You can run gnome-shell in a nested mode, but gnome-shell's forceful
grabbing of DBus names mean that the nested gnome-shell gets
notifications, screen lock goes to it, etc. I tend to only use mutter
in nested mode for Wayland hacking.

Having scripts or a better setup to keep my jhbuild builds mostly
in-line with the system ones would be great.

Full KMS-style Wayland hacking, for me, is mostly a separate machine
ssh'd into my main computer, there to debug and keep a session going
at all costs. I have issues, though, sometimes the keyring acts up and
prompts for my ssh key on the terminal. Other times, I tend to "lose
session-ness" and basically restart at that point to get things
working again.

What would really help is making VT switching work better. On my
systems with external monitors (like the ones I hack on at work), a
single VT switch takes 2-3 seconds from fbcon and back to X. I don't
know if this is Xorg or fbcon or just the VT layer in general, but it
is noticeable, and it is frustrating. I don't know if systemd-consoled
/ logind / "the VT replacement API" would help here at all.

Figuring out what "session-ness" means and how to gain it when simply
ssh'd in would also be great, but I have a feeling it's simply twenty
different environment variables I have to port over one by one.