Call for OPW project ideas

Dear Foundation,

The application process for the new round of Outreach Program for Women internships has recently started, and
we are looking for people willing to mentor GNOME projects in this round. Because we only usually have a few
participants in OPW, this round we would only like to offer projects that are most strategic for GNOME. These
include, but are not limited to, projects in the area of privacy [1], developer experience, GTK+ [2], core
experience, core applications [3], and web infrastructure. We would also like people to think ahead of time
how they will be able to provide excellent mentorship to the interns before, during, and after the
internship, and whether there is a larger project team the intern will be able to receive support from.
Matthias Clasen, Allan Day, and Sriram Ramkrishna have kindly agreed to be a part of a cross-team triage
committee for proposed project ideas. Please add ideas you are willing to mentor to the wiki page for the
round [4] by early next week.

You are also welcome to help us spread the word about OPW by using the available sample e-mail, social
network updates, and the flyer [5]. We are especially interested in getting more college women from the
Southern Hemisphere, who will have a school summer break during most of the internship time, to apply. If you
have connections in the Southern Hemisphere, please spread the word there.

One question people might have is whether we would limit GSoC to most strategic ideas too. Google encourages
the participating organizations to act as umbrella organizations and GNOME acting as one is one of the
reasons we get so many slots for GSoC. So, in my opinion, we should continue making all projects under the
GNOME umbrella available for GSoC. We already have a triage team for GSoC that ensures that the proposed
projects are agreed-upon and feasible.

Thanks,
Marina

[1] https://wiki.gnome.org/Foundation/PrivacyCampaign2013