Re: GNOME Panel maintainers

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 4:10 PM, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:
hi;

On 8 September 2014 12:33, Alberts Muktupāvels
<alberts muktupavels gmail com> wrote:

> I need some help and/or suggestion on how to take over gnome-panel
> maintaining.

that's not how it works.

I strongly suggest you discuss it with him, calmly, and productively,
in order to amicably solve this issue.

Does not look that it is possible otherwise I would not write this mail.

if nothing happens, you can create a clone of the gnome-panel
repository somewhere else, and convince others that your work is the
actual upstream. I'd strongly advise against this solution.

I don't think it would be good solution.

> Philipp does not want that I am taking over maintainership of gnome-panel.
> Problem is that he is not maintaining it and does not want that I do it...

after reading the various threads it seems that he has concerns on the
quality of your contributions; have you tried improving them so that
his concerns will not be relevant any more? it also seems that he
rolled back your commits and instead moved them to topic branches for
ease of review and development.

He is only one who find problems with my contributions.

Rolled back for what? First master was tested by separate users/distribution maintainers and it was reported that it works - works better than last release. At that time it was 3.8.0.

Rolling back he lost at least one commit which is not available in topic branches nor in master. For ease of review? There is no one else who is going to review it. Was not it easier to look at code and if he finds something bad ask me to fix it rather than rolling back, creating new branches?

For example he accepted GtkTable to GtkGrid changes in .ui files by other dev, but did not accept my commit that do some thing in code. I don't see any reason for this. Can you name any?

> He is author of 16 commits. And at least half is not related to any fixes,
> just updating news, version bump, adding himself to maintainers.

release management is a huge part of what "maintainer" means,
alongside code review, and integration of third party contributions.

I agree on this. But to make new release you need something new/improved/fixed... Is not that maintainers job too? He is just asking and mostly waiting until someone else will write patches, will review them. As I said he is not doing anything. Almost all work in last release is my work. So if I would not do anything how could he make new release?

> GNOME Panel is part of unofficial GNOME Flashback session (metacity,
> gnome-panel, gnome-applets). I am already maintaining gnome-applets,
> metacity. Also I have created new module that is very important part of
> Flashback session.

Flashback is not really sanctioned by GNOME in any way, so the GNOME
community can at most suggest ways of solving this issue amicably.

It is not official part of GNOME, but still GNOME. Currently we speak about gnome-panel and there was time when gnome-panel was part of official GNOME session.

What about maintainers that used to maintain gnome-panel while it was official part? Can not they help?

Also I asked who approved him as maintainer. Till now he has not responded. Also I did not find any public discussions about it. So there is possibility that he simply took over maintaining.

> Mailing list subscribers is on my side.

development and maintainership are not popularity contests.

Of course. It was not meant that way. I tried to say that basically Philipp is not happy with my work, but everyone else on mailing-list is not happy with his work.

For example there was user who reported bug about broken EDS in clock applet. He just responded that it is working asking to do more testing, he even wrote that he tested. He was wrong. I found problem, I fixed it, I sent patches to mailing list. Did he even look at them? No.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
http://www.bassi.io