Re: new maintainer for gnome-dictionary?

hi;

On 6 October 2014 16:27, Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek gentoo org> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 8:42 PM, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:
anybody looking for an *actual* dictionary. any and all replacements
are actually worse, and the only half-decent, maintained, and free (as
in beer) dictionary source we can use is Wiktionary, for which we
could simply ship an epiphany-based Web app anyway.

If anyone wants to work on a replacement dictionary UI, I'd vote for
something similar to spotlight integrated into GNOME Shell or
spell-integration in GTK+ rather than a separate app. The dictionary
integration in the Kindle, iOS, and OS X is much more useful than a
discrete app (saves a context switch, less effort, etc).

I think we should have some integration at a platform level — i.e.
"dictionary as a service" — that apps and the shell can use to show
word definitions.

I *definitely* don't think we should integrate this stuff in the shell
as a default; the shell is not the kitchen sink, and it cannot display
large quantities of text.

an app can provide a shell search provider fairly easily, and it can
expose a DBus API that shows a bubble at given coordinates with the
text definition for those apps opting in.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
http://www.bassi.io