Re: [GUI] Integrating a GTK application into OS X

On May 19, 2014, at 10:12 PM, scl <scl gplus gmail com> wrote:

Hi,

I'm developing in the GIMP project and am currently
improving its integration into the OS X look and
feel. As we are using GTK 2 I don't think we can use
GTK's built-in OS X integration (in GTK+ 3.4).
With respect to
https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GTK+/OSX/Integration
I'm improving an existing GTK+ 2 theme.

While the natural goal is the tight integration into
the OS X look and feel I'm on the other hand hesitating
how close to the original such a theme can be to not
infringe Apple's interests (see the Apple-vs.-Microsoft
lawsuit years ago and the related PearOS story lately).
From my point of view using the GTK-Quartz-Engine
could solve it if it used the Cocoa framework instead
of the outdated Carbon framework.
Are there any experiences, best practices or guidelines
to solve this integration problem?
John, have you planned to update the GTK Quartz Engine
soon?

No, because I don't think it's feasible. If there's any theming API exposed other than the HIToolbox that
Richard used to write gtk-quartz-engine I haven't been able to find it. On the other hand, 5 major OS
versions after Apple said Carbon is going away, HIToolbox is still there and still seems to be used by some
Cocoa code.

I don't think we need to worry too much about Apple suing, or even sending lawyer letters to, Gnome over
"look and feel". The Apple v. Microsoft case was over a whole OS (Windows 3.1), not an application running on
Macs. They never went after M$ because Word and Excel on Macs had the Mac look and feel. Besides, Apple is
now pretty thoroughly integrated into the Open Source Community and I think they probably understand and
support our desire to get a better mac look and feel.

All that said, I'm not at all sure that gtk-quartz-engine is the right way to go. The API that HIToolbox
exposes is quite limited and not really designed for theming. There are several clearlooks themes that look
quite macish and the clearlooks engine works a whole lot better than gtk-quartz-engine ever did.

Regards,
John Ralls