Re: Geoclue needs your help!

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 8:28 PM, Tomasz Torcz <tomek pipebreaker pl> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 08:06:09PM +0000, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:
The source makes use of the new Mozilla Location Service[1] and that
being very new, does not have a lot of coverage. The good news is that
they provide a web API and an android application to allow people to
help them extend their coverage: Mozstumblr. I talked to our designers
briefly about having a similar service/app in GNOME to be able to
contribute data from GNOME itself as well but lack of GPS hardware
makes it rather not that useful in the end.

So what I would really appreciate is for you nice folks to consider
installing Mozstumblr on your android phones (if you have one, that
is) and make our geolocation framework work as well as we all want it
to.

  Mozilla works one way with this Location Service.  They do collect
data, but don't allow downloading them back:
http://pavelmachek.livejournal.com/120952.html

There is a very good reason they don't let you download it:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/CloudServices/Location/FAQ#Can_I_download_the_entire_raw_database.3F

In short, the data isn't exactly theirs to give away freely.

  I don't think GNOME should encourage contributions to such closed,
proprietary service.

None of the software is closed or proprietary. Its all availlable and
developed in open like a real free software:

https://github.com/mozilla/ichnaea
https://github.com/mozilla/MozStumbler

Moreover, you can easily create a service based on their service that
gives out data to everyone if you wish so but I don't see GNOME
needing to do so.

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)