Re: Request for comments on security of authentication/authorisation UIs

Hi Steve,

We've talked about this somewhat before on the Wayland ML. You proposed some ability to decouple the security policy from the compositor with Wayland Security Modules. My opinion is still the same as before: it's a mistake to decouple the security policy and desktop environment. The two need to be designed hand-in-hand in order to have a safe, testable, usable experience.

It's more complicated, in terms of code, testing, auditing, and user interaction to have two independent moving parts try to come together to form a security policy.

It's also unfortunate that your solution, "WSM"s, only focuses on security Wayland protocol, rather than some other protocols or technologies we use, like DBus or CORBA.

In my opinion, one needs to design an entire operating system, from the desktop to the kernel, with security in mind, rather than bolting it onto the side one protocol at a time.

I think every Linux user has experienced issues with modules like SELinux preventing applications from doing things that the application needs to do. Application developers rarely write applications with certain operations failing. Users often don't know why applications are failing and are confused. The policy doesn't really have much documentation to explain why certain operations are dangerous, and why the application is attempting to do a dangerous operation. The only way to change the policy is to run a random program in a terminal as root.

From the user's point of view, SELinux hasn't really helped their computer be any more secure, and is just "getting in the way", so they disable it. The full experience is extremely subpar, since it was bolted onto the side instead of being designed and integrated into the system.

Hashem Nasarat points you to Stef Walter's talk at GUADEC, who makes a lot of the same points about this. Security is mostly a human problem, rather than a technical problem, and attempting to solve human problems with code and pluggable modules usually results in the human buying a Mac.