Re: gnome-software/packagekit support for arch linux

On 27 March 2014 02:46, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:
Unfortunately, none of them will be able to enjoy GNOME Software, due
to the fact that there is no active development of a pacman backend
for packagekit.  Arch Linux users are missing out on a major part of
the GNOME eco-system.

There are two problem here. One is that indeed, the PackageKit arch
backend is under-maintained, and doesn't support the newer features
that gnome-software uses so heavily (e.g. the new filter enums). The
second is that arch does not generate AppStream metadata, so even if
the PackageKit backend worked well enough, there would be no rich
content (long translated descriptions, screenshots, ratings, etc) to
show. If anyone from arch wants to make this work, please grab me on
#PackageKit on freenode and we can talk in more detail.

Richard