Re: Python Docs (was Re: Coordination for developer documentations)

On Sat, Mar 8, 2014 at 9:15 AM, Christoph Reiter
<reiter christoph gmail com> wrote:
On Sat, Mar 8, 2014 at 4:04 AM, Simon Feltman <s feltman gmail com> wrote:
* GI function argument interpretation for Python docs would be as
close as possible to pygobject by having the argument translation code
living in pygobject itself. Preferably we could expose pygobjects
internal argument caches which already have all the translation logic
applied and re-use this for the docstrings. This has the benefit of
lowering maintenance cost by ensuring the documentation for function
arguments is in lockstep with how pygobject actually works.

* Overrides and Python specific API extensions would automatically be
included in the docs.

(This is mainly the reason why I think Python introspection + Sphinx is
better in the long run than something like g-ir-doctool.. for the Python
bindings at least)

This should be possible with the current Sphinx based approach but still
needs some work (it only shows the correct override signature atm). I need
to handle the following cases somehow:

* In case the functionality of the overidden function differs from the
original one it should be possible to replace the gir documentation
all together.

In terms of overrides having additional side effects beyond the
intended GI API, I really hope we can deprecate those scenarios or
additional arguments that invoke new/alternate behavior (like
Gtk.MessageBox's "buttons" argument). It doesn't seem like there are
very many of these cases and I'm not sure if the deprecations would help
ease documentation or makes it more complex though. But I wouldn't
mind leaving doc strings for deprecated functionality out granted
usage of the function called as specified by a GI generated doc string
works in a backwards compatible way (similarly I think we should
ignore arguments/doc overrides for deprecated GObject initializers).

* In case the override just adds some additional arguments or default
values it should be possible to include the gir docs in the override
docstring (something like "%INCLUDE%" which gets replaced)

That sounds like a good idea. A bit of bike-shedding, but I think a
more explicit name would be nice. Something like
"%gi_doc_string_body%" or variations on that which may or may not
include argument documentation?

* In case the override uses "*args, *kwargs" because of backwards
compatibility or because argument processing is delegated to some helper
function it should be possible to define a Python signature which replaces
the real one as seen by Sphinx.

Do you mean the doc generator could figure this out or that we make
sure to manually add doc strings in these cases?

Once I have this working with pgi, I will try to move the override changes
needed to PyGObject.

Sounds great. I would like to go through the existing override doc
strings at some point and update them for better compatibility with
Sphinx/reST. Would this be helpful or would it be in conflict with
what you are thinking? (at least the Python only extensions like
Property and Signal should be well formatted).

* Better developer workflow. By using Python doc strings, we
automatically integrate with all of the awesome Python developer tools
and things like doc tips in IDE's should just work.

Is there any IDE/editor which supports some sort of auto completion for
PyGObject right now (using the gi.repository import hook)?

I was a bit overzealous with that statement. "should just work" is at
least true in ipython standalone or integrated with eclipse/pydev
(which is good enough for me at the moment). Eclipse nor Anjuta work
for editor auto-completion with import hooks. At a cursory glance,
Eclipse seems want to import the actual Python modules so there is
some hope for this working in the editor. Anjuta uses python-rope
which seems to use AST parsing and would be a more grave situation
with import hooks. A little more reading of PEP302 reveals there was
some talk about adding a "list_modules" method to the importer
protocol which would potentially fix some of these problems, but it
doesn't seem this has ever been added.

* Tools like Sphinx [1] could be used to generate html docs by
pointing it at the "gi" Python package. In a similar vein, I realize
Christoph's pgidocgen uses gir files translated to reStructuredText
which is then run through Sphinx (please correct me if I'm wrong
here).

In a limited form "pointing it at gi" should work then. It doesn't handle
import hooks afaik, so you would still have to generate rst files with all
autodoc references in them. Maybe provide it as a helper in PyGObject
similar to sphinx-apidoc.

Same problem as above I guess. Also this approach might not be that
great if different people try to re-generate the html docs (in the
context of building docs for hosting). You might get a different set
of docs from the previous generation due to a different set of
installed typelib/gir files. In which case managing an explicit list
of modules we want html docs for might be a way to enforce a
consistent set of documented modules. Unless of course an automated
builder is generating the docs based on some standard install like a
GNOME continuous snapshot.

* By using Sphinx, we also get direct references back to the Python
docs [2] for native Python constructs (as is realized with Christoph's
docs, although I'm not sure if it is Sphinx or pgidocgen doing that).

This is possible through the Sphinx intersphinx extension [0]. Sphinx
creates a "object.inv" [1] file which can be used by other sphinx based
projects to resolve references. This is, as you've said, used to link to
the official python documentation + the pycairo docs (see Gtk.Widget.draw()
[2] for example). It's also used in Sebastian's GTK+3 tutorial to link to
the API reference itself.

I didn't realize there was also referencing with pycairo and the
tutorials on readthedocs, very nice!

* Sphinx also seems to supports devhelp output (among other formats)
which is interesting in that we might be able to achieve a similar
look and feel with the rest of the GNOME developer docs.

I've tried the devhelp export and it seemed to work quite well for the all
in one API docs. But I'm not sure how linking between different Sphinx
builds would work with devhelp. (but I have no idea how devhelp does it
with other sources either..)

The devhelp output wasn't really what I was expecting, which was
style consistency of the html output.

-Simon