Re: Translation commits pushed when rolling a tarball

On Sat, Aug 2, 2014 at 9:37 AM, Ekaterina Gerasimova
<kittykat3756 gmail com> wrote:
On 01/08/2014, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) <zeeshanak gnome org> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 5:24 PM, Sébastien Wilmet <swilmet gnome org> wrote:
Hi,

Hi,

At some rare occasions, especially after the string freeze, translation
commits are pushed when rolling a tarball for making a new release.
Since the commit for the release should be pushed only when 'make
distcheck' has succeeded, there can be a push conflict and the
maintainer have to repeat the process (sometimes several times).

I think it would be nice to send mails on gnome-i18n and gnome-doc-list
to explain that commits should not be pushed during the release days. If
a translation or documentation commit is important, the maintainers can
anyway be contacted on IRC to know if the commit can be pushed.

I think there is no equivalent of 'svn lock' for git, so sending a mail
is a solution.

Bonus point is to add a warning on l10n.gnome.org, but it is more work.

What do you think?

+1.

Is it too rare to care about this problem?

I don't think so but being a maintainer for years, you'll learn to do
`git push origin master` first always. :)

As someone who makes releases, I always prefer to have the latest
translation in the release, but I understand that running a distcheck
on some of the larger projects can take a long time.

From a documentation point of view, it doesn't make sense to block
pushes for a whole day, especially as some maintainers release very
late. Have you considered dropping an email to
gnome-doc-list gnome org and gnome-i18n gnome org lists before running
the distcheck? I found communicating with translators to be very
effective and the docs team would prefer communication over a ban.

You mean send them email to not push translations? Are they all on
those lists and read their inbox each time before pushing changes? If
so, sure but then again the main issue (at least for me) is forgetting
(to run `git push master` rather than `git push master RELEASE`) so I
don't know what adding an additional manual step to remember would
achieve.

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)