Re: Unreviewed patches - is the boat sinking?

On Sun, 2014-04-13 at 09:34 +0200, Joanna Larsen wrote:
Hello.

I'm new to Gnome. Some time ago I started looking into the inner workings
of it. Reading the source code, learning from it. Coming up with a few
ideas. So I jumped on Bugzilla eager to fix bugs and contribute features.

Until I found this [1]. No it's not the list of open bug reports, it's the
list of unreviewed patches. As of now that's 6138 in total.

Hundreds or thousands of people have taken the time to create a patch,
submit it and then heard absolutely nothing back. Any free software project
would crave for even this many contributions alone.

Hi,

The numbers have to be evaluated considering the big picture.  The
number might be small, fair or big depending on what you are assessing
and with respect to what, number of projects involved, just no name a
few.

For example, how many patches have been actually reviewed? I quick
report shows me that 55554 have been reviewed. That would mean the
patches are not ignored, but maybe that more hands are needed to review
them, update them (like check if they still apply), etc.

I would agree that there is room for improvement, but this is not as
negative as it seems to be by looking one single number.

Regards,

--
Germán Poo-Caamaño
http://calcifer.org/