Re: Request for comments on security of authentication/authorisation UIs

Dodier-Lazaro, Steve <s dodier-lazaro 12 ucl ac uk> wrote:
One does one keep informed about this? Where do I sign up?

That's a good question. You can subscribe to the wiki page that I
linked to, follow this mailing list, and follow Planet GNOME. I'm sure
that there will be traffic on this topic once we make progress.

Done, thanks. It seems to me there is no specific place to discuss the relationships between sandboxing and
"data sharing models" at the moment. I don't want to just keep in touch, in a sense, but I'm very willing
to contribute time and effort (including coding stuff) to make sandboxed apps happen. I happen to be paid
to do exactly that (though at the "research prototype" level of quality, not production-ready code).

Awesome! I'm really happy to hear that.

Questions that come to mind are: should there be a specific place to discuss sandboxing and its
implications (seems to me all the interested parties are already GNOME devs, except maybe for Dan Walsh and
Ikey Doherty)? Is this ML ok to use? Do you welcome contributors external to GNOME? The question is maybe a
bit stupid, but I've had bad experiences with Ayatana and I wouldn't want people to think that I'm a guy
coming out of nowhere stepping on their toes and contributing nothing useful.

Contributions are absolutely welcome, and we regularly work with other
projects and organisations. This mailing list is fine for this topic,
or the GNOME OS list [1] would also work. We need to coordinate
between a few different projects here, and there are a number of key
individuals that need to be involved in the conversation (Colin
Walters, Alex Larsson, Lennart Poettering, etc). Contacting them
individually might be a good idea; I think that a few of them are busy
with other things right now, but that will hopefully change in the
future.

As with any detailed design discussion, face-to-face discussions are
important also. There might be conversations about this at a couple of
upcoming hackfests [2, 3]. Let me know if you're interested in joining
us in Berlin, since I'm involved in organising that event. It would
also be great if you could come to GUADEC this year [4].

Would you like me to put these down on a wiki page so we can extend and find for which use cases problems
arise? This would also reduce the risk of the existing discussions being lost, should other people jump in
the train and contribute ideas.

You might want to check with the other people involved in this - there
might be some documentation out there already. Eventually it would
definitely be good to have a page for this on the wiki, but we should
ensure that it gets attention from the different parties involved. If
you want to make a start, you could maybe get a draft going in your
personal name space (e.g wiki.gnome.org/SteveDonierLazaro/Sandboxing
).

Thanks,

Allan