Re: 3.12 feature: polari

Olav Vitters <olav vitters nl> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 03, 2013 at 06:32:04PM +0200, Florian Müllner wrote:
Polari is a simple IRC client designed for GNOME 3. Tentative designs
have been around for a while, but hacking only started around Guadec.
It is obviously not end-user ready at that point, but I'm confident
that it can be in time for 3.12, thus this feature proposal.

The name is not consistent with other GNOME 3 applications. We now have
Web, Files, Photos, Music, etc. Will the Polari name be kept? Any
concious decision between maintainers and designers? Just wondering why
it is different, we had Bijiben, but it now also calls itself Notes.

The core applications are unbranded and have generic names. The idea
is that these apps should be installed by default. The generic name is
appropriate in this case because (a) the app is essentially part of
the OS and (b) it tells new users what all the default apps do.

I don't think the suggestion is that Polari will be a core app, or
that distros should install it by default - hence it has a brand of
its own. It is still a GNOME app though, in the sense that it is
created by GNOME and follows the GNOME 3 design patterns.

Allan