Re: Idea For Semantic Text-Based GTD Application

Thank you for sharing your opinion.

I agree a general-purpose structured language is not suitable for
end-users. I looked at some existing languages and examined their
nature, and I couldn't find any easy one. The most simple
general-purpose is probably the Turtle notation for RDF, but it's still
too complicated for end users.

Thus, I decided that my language will not have full expressive power. It
will define general entities, but once concepts like tasks and calendars
are defined, the usage is as simple as defining which properties you
want your tasks to have.

And it only becomes easier and easier: Once a standard set of properties
is written (due date, name, title, description, topic, location, etc.),
most people won't even need to write code. If they want, they may choose
the properties required for a task, and this way simplify the view by
hiding what they don't use. Or just choose the properties they want from
the list.

For example, some people don't arrange tasks as a graph, just as a list.
So they can ignore the dependency features and just see a simple list.

Once standard simple query tools are defined, and use the standard
properties and classes, even most queries will become easy to write.

And the best part: Everything too advanced from the user can be
downloaded from a repository. Once people start writing definitions, the
end users who are not programmers can simply download the tools, instead
of trying to write them.

With time, people with all kinds of workflows and technical skills and
fields will create a database of free definitions, tools and settings,
making the experience of end users convenient, both in the workstation
building process and during daily usage of it.

So, while I try to provide wide and expressive range of concepts, the
actual usage of the language for time management and related life
hacking will quickly become very simple, even for non-programmers. Like
I said, they basically just need to choose properties, and choose the
visualizations they want to see. And with a wide range of properties and
views, I hope every user will be able to create a personal setup.

Anatoly