Re: Touchscreen Compatibility [was: Feature proposal: combined system status menu]

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 12:33 PM, Tristan Van Berkom <tvb gnome org> wrote:

There are two paths I can see which an application can take to be
touch friendly:

a.) Distribute a completely separate binary designed for touch

b.) Try to do what gnome-shell seems to be trying, i.e. detect
     whether the app is running in a touch environment, and
     make specific tweaks, use separate UIs for the touch environment
     than the app would use with a mouse driven environment.

Well that assumes that touch and pointer a mutually exclusive, which
they aren't. Think about "laptops with touchscreen" is it a pointer
based device? Or a touch based?
It is neither it depends on how the user currently use it.

I don't know how to solve this but touch vs. pointer are (no longer)
mutually exclusive.