Re: Feature proposal: combined system status menu

Lennart Poettering <mztabzr 0pointer de> wrote:
This all looks so ... crowded in the wireframes. So very very
crowded. That can't be good?

First of all, did you look at the example scenarios?

On my current machine, the user menu has 6 items, with the avatar,
user name and chat status on top. With the new design, I would have 6
items with two sliders on top - so essentially the same thing, yet
without the added complexity of separate menus for volume, network and
power. So actually, the result would be much less crowded and much
cleaner.

I understand that much of this is not supposed to be shown when not in
use, but this does open a lot of questions to me. i.e. you have to
figure out what "in use" means, i.e. for audio you probably have to
think about some latency after each action that audio is still
considered in use, and what about the usecase, where I am in a
presentation at a conference and somebody sends me a video, and i want
to see it, but want to turn off audio first, so that nobody notices that
i watch a video rather than watch the speaker?

Audio output is always present. For microphones, there will be no
change from the current volume menu behavour.

And regarding the
networking thing: if you want to show the networking bit only when
traffic is required, then you create a chicken and egg problem, where
the first network operation of an app will always fail, because you use
it as a trigger but can't offer the network immeidately yet...

There's no reason why we have to do this in response to actual
attempts to access the network, but I'm not the best person to discuss
that. ;)

So, I see tons of problems coming up when you try to be "context
sensitive"... You need a lot of magic where you have to anticipate
actions of the user before he actually does them. Because the user might
want to change the volume *before* playing audio, and set up the network
*before* doing something, and so on and so on...

Again, output volume will always be displayed. Wi-fi will always be
displayed in the menu too - you can always select the entry to reach
the relevant settings panel.

Also, if this menu shows when we are in airplane mode, and I presumably
can use it to get out of airplane mode: how do i actually get into
airplane mode if the option isn't shown then?

Same as now - through the control center.

But first and foremost, this all looks so crowded. Looks more like some
feature-loaded KDE menu to me, rather then a minimalistic GNOME menu...

Again, in most cases this will be less crowded than the current version.

Allan