Re: loomio

On 14/04/13 09:36, אנטולי קרסנר wrote:
Hello,

I found a tool for collaborative decision making and brainstorming
called loomio:

https://www.loomio.org/

Interesting.

It's open for private beta, and I think Gnome, as a community project,
can really benefit from using it.

Currently the communication between people in the project is done in
several channels not connected to each other: mailing list, GnomeLive
wiki and IRC channels. All three of them treat all text as just plain
text, meaning the computer doesn't provide us tools for specific content
such as brainstorming, ideas, plans, schedules, etc.

Loomio doesn't provide all of these things, but it's a great tool for a
community to use for managing ideas and decisions.

What do you think?

- The code is available I read, so I would say it makes sense if we could at least share *results* and possibly comments by exporting to this? mailing list - for those who don't want to sign up to the tool - for transparency, etc.

- I think it would be a good idea for things like new ideas for the next GNOME version which Matthias puts out (for example). This tool is about improving the ideas that come out of the mill and gaining feedback.

- I think there is often a lot of indirect discussion and nitpicking around some of the threads here and a tool like this may improve that issue.

- In the worst case, why not just trial it and see how it goes. We can always stick to what we have if it doesn't pick up.

"If I’d asked people what they wanted, they would have asked for a
better horse" -- Henry Ford [1]

There is some truth here, but I would not consider ALL ideas and development around GNOME to pertain to this argument.

How many times has the community introduced so called "black swan event" changes compared to regular changes? What I am saying is, this is talking about a minority and extremity of cases here to prove a point which is infinitely less relevant.

Software development is not a democracy.  Decisions are taken by people
who actually develop the software.  Comments might or might not be
welcomed depending of several factors (politeness, pertinence,
reputation, data, etc.).

I don't think that just because one develops software, this tool would be useless. I don't think you can tar everyone with the same brush.

--
Regards,
Martyn

Founder and CEO of Lanedo GmbH.