Re: What can you tell new about Content Selection?

On 8 Apr 2013 16:01, "Federico Mena Quintero" <federico gnome org> wrote:

> As far as I know, this is not being worked on yet.  Some months ago I
> started a very preliminary (read: nearly useless) API brainstorming page
> here:
>
> https://live.gnome.org/GTK%2B/ContentSelection
>
> (... which I noticed wasn't linked from the design page - fixed now.)
>
> It would be good to sit down and chat about this.  Would you like to do
> this as a GSoC project?  I'd very gladly mentor you!
>
>   Federico

You read my mind, Federico - yes, I would LOVE to work on this as a GSoC project! Sounds like such a project has a lot of room to play in - some specification-writing, some library-writing, some example implementations with various apps, and maybe a bit of evangelising… - so it would be important to come up with a good scope for it.

I think it's interesting that your API brainstorm page takes a totally different tack from what I had been picturing, and from what I often see elsewhere. (That involved lots of MIME types and the possibility of apps providing types of content we haven't thought about, like GPX files or calendar events - which, come think of it, could work pretty badly in practice). So, I like it :)

I would definitely like to chat about this with you. I'm in final exam panic mode this week so I won't be much fun, but maybe early next week I'll find you on IRC?

Thanks for all the help!

Dylan