Re: How long should it take to fix a obvious memory leak?

2013/4/4 Ma Xiaojun <damage3025 gmail com>:
On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 10:11 PM, Luis Menina <liberforce freeside fr> wrote:
Could you please avoid getting that harsh in all your messages? I think
I'm not the only getting upset by the way you handle communication.

Focus on the bug, rather than how it is shown to you, please.

You'll find unreviewed patches all over the GNOME modules, that's a
fact. People are busy fixing other bugs, or busy with their own life, or
just stop maintaining things. I'm not a huge fan of people saying that
everything is ok, always keeping happy-happy, and not facing problems.
But using stop energy that relentlessly doesn't help either.

Are suggesting that GNOME are maintained by a group of hobbyist?
How to prove your seriousness about your distributed software?

Volunteer != hobbyist.

Professionals volunteer their time and do their best to get things
working. Want something solved and it doesn't happen? Ask nicely.
Still doesn't happen? Too bad, nobody's fault really.

The community doesn't work for you. Each individual sets its own goals
and motivations. If something doesn't happen, you can ask nicely how
you can help to make it happen and sooner or later you'll figure out
how to go and fix it yourself (sometimes that means becoming a
maintainer, but to achieve that you need time, effort and a
constructive mindset).

What if you were the maintainer of that module? Wouldn't you get
offended by someone publicly trying to put shame on you for not getting
things done fast enough? I would.

It's indeed a shame.
Whether you take the offence or not is your problem not mine.

Actually, it is your problem, we have a code of conduct for a reason,
if you offend people willingly in any GNOME communication channel you
have a problem. Not caring on whether people get offended or not, is
in my opinion your problem. And people willing to work with you and
help you depends at a large extend on how nice you behave with them.

Please directly contact the maintainers of a module before sending this
kind of message to the d-d-l, and try some psychology: asking somebody
to do something works much better if you kindly ask, and thank people,
rather than if you imply that they either are morons or slackers.

GNOME is a community, GNOME is people. Smashing people the ones against
the others helps nobody...

I don't think it would be better to put finger towards some particular
person. I just want this problem fixed, indeed.

You are creating another problem in the process. Please keep other's
people's feelings into account and give up that proud undertone in
your responses.