Re: jhbuild update required

On 5 September 2012 15:13, Jasper St. Pierre <jstpierre mecheye net> wrote:
> jhbuild is not meant to be packaged. I'd highly suggest you stop
> packaging jhbuild.

Yes, you're not the only one to say that. But, I thought a big part of
what jhbuild offers is that it makes it relatively easy to try out the
bleeding edge of GNOME without having to mess with learning how to
./configure, make, make install (and of course ./configure doesn't
work on GNOME packages without running autogen.sh first but how's a
beginner to know that?). Requiring a beginner to manually build
jhbuild from source defeats that advantage.

Also, there's the whole problem of users needing to periodically
update their jhbuild manually. Why not let distros handle that like
they do every other package?

I've always ran jhbuild from the distro package. As long as jhbuild
gets regular releases, those releases get packaged, and I use the
default network modulesets, I don't see a problem.

Jeremy