Re: Dropping fallback mode in 3.8

Hi Raphael,

Just for the record. You don't need the latest and greatest accelerated hardware to run GNOME Shell. I've done GNOME 3.0 presentations on an aspire one netbook from circa 2007 and it's lightning fast.

You can run GNOME Shell on any 10 year old GPU as far as the drivers are in a decent shape. In those cases there's the software renderer: llvmpipe.

A "classic mode" for GNOME Shell could make use of less expensive effects that could relieve the software rendenrer making the experience a lot nicer on machines with driver problems (or other cases where native GL could not be provided).

2012/11/21 Raphaël Jacquot <sxpert sxpert org>

On 9 nov. 2012, at 16:56, Matthias Clasen <matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> last weekend, the release team met and discussed (among other things)
> the DropOrFixFallbackMode [1] feature. We've come to the conclusion
> that we can't maintain fallback mode in reasonable quality, and are
> better off dropping it. We're now working on organizing this so that
> it does not create more unnecessary fallout.

I don't talk often on this list, for lack of available time, but have the following to say :

The decision is all nice and well. however this will force people that don't have the latest and greatest accelerated hardware to switch to something else.
most PCs that are more that 2 years old are probably out of the game.

now the REAL question is :
Is the Gnome community NO BETTER than Microsoft at forcing Hardware Upgrades ?