Re: compiler warnings, -Werror, etc.

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 01:24:39PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> Not everything uses GNOME_COMPILE_WARNINGS, but that's not a big deal -
> my main goal here is to in order:
>
> 1) Convince module maintainers not to use -Wall -Werror

In Mageia we either file bugs for -Werror, or the -Werror is patched
out. This is done randomly. So making -Werror useful again would be
nice.

Note that if -Werror is patched out, that patch is reused until it does
not apply.

> 2) Ensure we *do* use -Werror=format-security and the other core ones.
>    That one is often injected by distributions right now, and it only
>    therefore potentially gets noticed fixed after release when tarballs
>    are rolled or whatever.

I'd really appreciate the format-security one. I usually just commit
fixes for that. Other packagers sometimes file bugs, sometimes not.
Always patched downstream though.

--
Regards,
Olav