Support both gstreamer 0.10 and 1.0 for GNOME 3.6?

Hey,

I've been talking to some people at GUADEC about the gstreamer 0.10 to 1.0 transition and the issues it creates (especially for distributors), one of the outcome of those discussions is that it might be a good idea to ease the transition by supporting both versions for one cycle ... so here we are, I'm emailing d-d-l to do that suggestion.

During previous discussions on IRC some maintainers pointed that the api changes were pretty minimal, which means it should be easy enough to ifdef both for one version.

Some issues raised with the transition:
- gstreamer 1.0 has not been released yet
- gstreamer 1.0 didn't get lot of user testing yet
- it might end up that some components rely on gstreamer 1.0 in GNOME 3.6 and some 0.10, distributors might not want to ship,support 2 gstreamer stacks though
- some codecs haven't been ported yet (the fluendo mp3 one for example)

What do you think about doing a smooth transition by supporting both for a cycle?

--
Sebastien Bacher